Chicory: A Colorful Tale Presskit
Chicory: A Colorful Tale is an adventure game about a dog wielding a magic paintbrush! Use the power of art to explore, solve puzzles, help your animal friends and restore color to the world.
The Brush is a one-of-a-kind artifact that can color the world. Naturally, it needs a wielder, a master artist responsible for all colors and for passing the brush down. The current wielder, Chicory, is immensely talented and beloved by all... until all the color in the land vanishes, and her with it! I guess that leaves it up to you, her number one fan, to take up the brush and fill in for her. Hmm... good luck!
- Explore the Picnic Province, and draw on anything!
- Manipulate the environment with your paint and solve puzzles!
- Unlock new paint abilities and use them to reach new places!
- Collectible clothes, plants and furniture to dress your character and the world how you want!
- A world full of animal characters to meet and befriend!
- Local co-op! Play with your friends and draw together!
Almost immediately after releasing Wandersong, director Greg Lobanov wanted to move on to a new project about drawing and art in the same way Wandersong was about singing and music. After some time spent experimenting with prototypes in 2018, he assembled a team of friends including Em Halberstadt, who he'd worked with Wandersong, and Lena Raine, an old friend who recently came into the spotlight for her work on Celeste. Local Vancouver artists Alexis Dean-Jones and Madeline Berger were brought on as well, lending an interesting and exciting new style to the game. After establishing the visual style and prototyping the basic systems, they announced the project in January 2019 as "Drawdog."
- Greg Lobanov (@theBanov) Director, designer, programmer, writer. Greg has made a myriad of indie games over the last decade or so, including Wandersong, Coin Crypt, Phantasmaburbia, and many others. He really likes making things that are silly and colorful and story-driven, and one time he rode his bicycle all the way across America.
- Lena Raine (@kuraine) Composer. Lena is best known for her award-winning composition in Celeste and Guild Wars 2. She's also a talented designer in her own right; she self-published the interactive novel ESC, worked as a designer at Ubisoft, and has written several novels. In Picnic, she'd be a red panda named Marzipan with a classic style.
- Em Halberstadt (@emaudible) Sound Designer. Em has been the visionary (audionary?) sound designer behind a number of high-profile indie games including Night in the Woods, Wandersong, Untitled Goose Game, Ikenfell, and many more. She brings a totally unique voice, texture and joy to her audio, all of which set her projects apart from the crowd. In her free time she really enjoys camping and nature walks.
- Alexis Dean-Jones (@musclewing) Character artist, animator. Chicory is Alexis' first game project! Previously she's worked on designs and storyboards at Slap Happy Cartoons in Canada, as well as freelancing for years before that dein Australia, where she grew up. Alexis is experienced at animating for short films and deeply loves animals, especially birds.
- Madeline Berger (@fungalmatters) Environment artist. Madeline has worked mostly in comics, making a name for themself with their unique wobbly linework and dreamlike writing. They're a big fan of plants and the natural world.